Pages

Wednesday 18 January 2012

More than I can chew?

I think I've done it out of spite! A BBC Breakfast interview and a One Show segment say that somewhere between 9th and 16th January most of our good intentions are abandoned. Not that I had any good intentions in particular, but I definitely don't like the feeling that I'm becoming an easily predicted statistic. So, in two moments of foolish exuberance, I've entered a 10k and a triathlon. It's not that 10k is hard. It's not. In that event, I'm actually worried about my time, not about finishing. In the tri, it's different. I can swim. I can ride a bike. I can run. But can I fit them together into a coherent cooperation where one doesn't leave me totally finished before the next has even begun? Is the whole experience going to leave me as a statistic of a different kind - a paramedic's?!

So, I'm allowing comments. How should I approach the day? What's the best pre-match brekkie? Is the general idea to take the swim and bike easy and use everything left in the locker on the run? It's a pool swim - should I learn to tumble turn? If I do get a few opportunities to train, should I do the distances for the race or do longer so the race seems easier?

Anyway, that's enough from me - I need to take out some insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment